Avoid Orange Line Chaos Right Now

Hoping to head a stop west on the Orange Line right now I ran into this chaos at Farragut West.

On the left is the line just to get onto the platform towards Vienna. On the right, people coming from NoVA moaning about the craziness there.

Not shown is me headed back up to street level. I would rather sweat and walk than wait in WMATA chaos.

9 Comments so far

  1. nashpaul (unregistered) on August 2nd, 2007 @ 7:23 pm

    No kidding. It took more than an hour to get from Metro Center to Clarendon…and that’s with getting on the first Orange Line train that finally came.

    No train moved for almost 30 minutes. At the height of rush hour.

    Metroblogging has an alert, but Metro didn’t see fit to send one out.

  2. Mark (unregistered) on August 2nd, 2007 @ 8:08 pm

    I can’t see the time on the clock in that pic, but I was probably there just around that time. Stood at Farragut West for about an hour, then another half an hour on the platform to wait for a Blue Line train that I could actually get into. If it wasn’t eleventy billion degrees out I would have just walked to the nearest Yellow Line station and transferred down the line.

    P.S.: What is so friggin’ hard about “please move to the center of the aisle” for people to understand?

  3. Doug (unregistered) on August 2nd, 2007 @ 9:09 pm

    45 minute wait at Foggy Bottom trying to catch an orange to Clarendon. Finally, a blue arrived, packed. In the ensuing 10 minutes, a few orange line trains came through, none of which you could get on. Fuckit, I broke camp the other way. Too bad I missed the gang, hope you guys had fun.

  4. sarbec (unregistered) on August 2nd, 2007 @ 10:18 pm

    An hour to get from Federal Center SW to L’Enfant Plaza. Stuck in a tunnel where we couldn’t get off the train. Updates every few minutes, though: “There is a disabled train ahead of us. We will be moving momentarily…”

  5. Jerry (unregistered) on August 2nd, 2007 @ 10:21 pm

    Or should I ask “what is right?”

    Daily train breakdowns, resulting in major delays (like the one tonight that allowed me to spend 2 hours with fellow “customers” on the Orange Line), and a failing infrastructure are what I see.

    A union structure that allows employees to do next to nothing, and make lots of money doing it.

    Now, I realize not all employees of WMATA are like I described above. There are a lot of hard-working employees. Do we ever see those? No…we see numbers of blue and white shirted employees standing around laughing, joking, talking… not doing a thing.

    True, the politicians that run the Metro Board are to blame for sure… nonetheless… Here is what I see. Overcrowded trains, aging rail cars (what happened to all those new 6000 series cars we were supposed to see by now?), some incompetent and discourteous employees, an aging infrastructure and government agencies who seem to care less.

    What can be done?

  6. Sean (unregistered) on August 3rd, 2007 @ 7:43 am

    I wish I was able to read this last night. I got on the Metro at Pentagon City at 5:30 and arrived at West Falls Church just before 8:00. Most of that time was spent at Rosslyn. Good times!

    Actually, the one positive is that I ran into a friend that I haven’t seen in months.

  7. Ed (unregistered) on August 3rd, 2007 @ 8:28 am

    It took me 2.5 hours to get from National Airport Metro to Dunn Loring. I was on two trains that went “out of service” everyone was told to get off.

    Blue and Orange lines were hosed.

    Metro Police were there yelling at people to step back from the train doors.

    The Roslyn stop was completely overwhelmed.

  8. Paulo (unregistered) on August 3rd, 2007 @ 8:53 am

    Wifey and I had a hunch that the Orange Line would be a mess today, so we hopped on a Circulator. Gut feel proved right last night.

  9. Twitch (unregistered) on August 3rd, 2007 @ 9:16 am

    I saw the blue line train that broke as it was leaving McPherson Square. I waited till the second of two orange line trains that followed before I boarded because the first was already full. We made it into the tunnel between Farragut West and Foggy Bottom when we were stopped. It took me 60 minutes to get from McPherson Square to Ballston. What a fun way to spend a very hot afternoon.

Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.