Stop Work Order on Petworth Eyesore

In a move that should make Prince of Petworth proud, the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs has issued a Stop Work order on a Petworth eyesore.

The remodelers of the ugly ass house at the corner of Upshur Street and New Hampshire Avenue (4143 New Hampshire Ave) were excavating and backfilling without permits.

In addition the plumber on site wasn’t licensed. (No word if he was keeping it real though.)

I think the DCRA is missing a much larger code violation: color coding yellow brick to yellow vinyl. Yellow being a bad color for brick, it looks even worse when its mis-matched with a tan vinyl-clad addition.

4 Comments so far

  1. Ex-Hy Hy (unregistered) on June 8th, 2007 @ 1:20 pm

    Holy crap, is that vinyl siding on a rowhouse? I barfed a little.

  2. Wayan (unregistered) on June 8th, 2007 @ 1:25 pm

    Then don’t look at this house. You know that dropped the property values in every direction. I’m just glad that one is on the other side of Georgia Avenue.

  3. EdTheRed (unregistered) on June 8th, 2007 @ 1:41 pm

    I noticed that place recently…my Science, but it’s hideous. I wondered how the hell they got approval…I guess that question’s been answered.

  4. MBFan#2 (unregistered) on June 8th, 2007 @ 4:13 pm

    I am surprised that the architectural review board hasn’t been called in and usually you need to present to the ARB to get approval. How about an HOA (being a libertarian, they are not my fav folks but sometimes they do have a purpose) in Petworth? Apparently, there is some recourse –

    Historic Preservation Enforcement

    The Office of Planning encourages citizens or builders to report any illegal construction pertaining to historic sites. Illegal construction is work performed without a building permit or work not in accordance with terms and conditions of an issued permit. You may report illegal work anonymously, but if the work is completed, your testimony regarding the observations may be the only way to bring a case of enforcement.

    Please select the links below for more details regarding illegal construction:

    * Determine If a Site Has Illegal Construction
    * Provide Details About the Site
    * Request an Inspection by Historic Preservation Officers in Your Area

    To report a violation, contact the Historic Preservation Office by phone at (202) 442-8800 or by email.

    To report waste, fraud, or abuse by any DC Government office or official, call the DC Inspector General at (800) 521-1639.

    Somebody better give these guys a call quick!

Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.