Well, it sure was interesting out there this afternoon. I left my office at 12th and F at roughly quarter after noon. I headed up 14th St. to I, then I over toward Washington Circle, then to K st. to grab either the Whitehurst Expressway or 66 outbound. Oy. It was one pm before I was even close to the Roosevelt Bridge, then a good half hour before I was able to get off in Courthouse to fill up at Our Lady of Chevron.

I ended up stuck just north of the Chevron on Wilson, but I was able to inch my way up the hill when a nice serviceman came to my aid and helped push my car up the hill. I wasn’t the only one having trouble, many cars were ill-prepared for the snow-covered streets in Rosslyn. So, it seems, was Arlington County, unable to treat the roads, despite the threat of snow, the forecast of snow, and the ACTUAL snow that began falling around 10:30. It wasn’t until I hit Glebe Road that I saw any evidence of roads being treated, and even so, that was one pass of the salt trucks.

In Fairlington, I was pleasantly surprised to see most of the roads cleared, and sidewalk sweeps under way by 3pm. At least my condo fees are being well spent!

How bad was your trip around town?

4 Comments so far

  1. Christine (unregistered) on January 19th, 2005 @ 6:08 pm

    I called a cab at 4:25 in McLean. It’s now 6:19 and I’m still waiting. On hold with the cab company trying to find out when or even if I’ll ever get home.

  2. dawn (unregistered) on January 20th, 2005 @ 7:00 am

    Two hours to go 30 miles. Got home ’round 9 p.m. The GW was pretty good at that hour (although the black ice was very much present), save for the fact that I opted to finish it out instead of hopping onto 395. Old Town/Duke Street was a slushy wonder.

    Who wants to join me in giving Mother Nature a cup of cocoa and a pint of Cherry Garcia to soothe her rage?

  3. JennB (unregistered) on January 20th, 2005 @ 8:16 am

    My trip wasn’t too bad – it took me about 45 minutes to go from Reston to Falls Church. That’s only about twice as long as it usually takes.

  4. XIan (unregistered) on January 20th, 2005 @ 10:23 am

    Well, I don’t live in DC (we don’t have our own metblog down here in Tidewater), but it took me 4 hours to drive 30 miles. I left work at NASA Langley at 3:15 and got home a little after 7 pm.

Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.