Washington City Paper Unveil’s Best of D.C. 2010
“In the best spirit of civic journalism, we are dedicating this issue to the newcomers. We want the rest of the city to stand up and look at what you folks are doing for this town, and at the same time, we want to impart advice on what’s worth checking out around here.”
I read over the complete list and here are my thoughts:
- Best Brunch: Tabard Inn, Twist Dupont at the Carlyle Suites Hotel, Open City – now I’m not a brunching person but two out of the three “best brunches” at a hotel just sounds little bit snobby to me. What’s wrong with Matchbox or Kramer’s?
- Best Coffee Shop: I was hoping for something other than Tryst when I saw the results- Tryst is fine but it’s also a hybrid lounge/bar that happens to be open late at night- I would never go there at night to do coffee house-like things- like write this blog post. I’m happy the staff pick was Chinatown Coffee Co. – place I’ve blogged in.
- Best Dive Bar (Staff Pick): Cafe Wazobia – now I don’t go to shaw all the time but this list of reasons Amanda Hess has provided sold me:
- Mysterious drink pricing
- Negotiable cover
- Music videos displayed on the bar’s TV screens do not correspond to the music actually being played
- Aggressive neon signage
- 50-50 chance that the only other person at the bar will vacate her stool when you arrive, as she is your bartender
- Meat on a stick
- Bar design consists of a bunch of alcohol bottles stacked on a table
- Poorly lit
- Though plenty of glassware hangs behind the bar, drinks are served in red Solo cups
- Extremely low name recognition among D.C. residents
- Disco ball in back
- When asked for a house special, a bartender served me a cup of cranberry juice and Hennessey.
I don’t know if I want to go here or stay away for fear of death.
- Best Way To Pronounce “Pho”: The WCP staff may say, “any damn way you want,” but I say I’m more than ok with ditching the correct Vietnamese pronunciation and using my last name instead. I do own all the Pho shops in DC after all- my name is Pho!
- Best Electronics Shop: The top choice was Best Buy- but really where else are you going to go?
- Best Wizards Player: Really? Gilbert Arenas?
My final note: everybody appears to be in love with ChurchKey. I guess I should check it out.