Local Awards Season Kicks-Off With WATCH Nominations
Today the headlines may be about this morning Oscar nominations but a couple weeks ago the DC theatre scene was already buzzing with the recent announcement of the Washington Area Theatre Community Honors awards. The organization nominates and rewards the best in community theatre in the Washington DC area.
Back on January 17th, the nominees were announced 38 categories. The big nominees were Reston Community Players (32 nominations), Little Theatre of Alexandria (27 nominations), and Silver Spring Stage (23 nominations). Reston was not only the most nominated theatre but also had the top two nominated shows, with their recent production of Curtains earning 19 nominations including outstanding musical. Reston’s production of The Full Monty came in second with 13 nominations. The Arlington Player’s production of Follies came in third with 12 nominations.
Here are the nominees for outstanding musical and play (the complete list can be found here):
- Curtains – Reston Community Players
- Falsettos – Elden Street Players
- Follies – Arlington Players
- The Full Monty – Reston Community Players
- The Musical of Musicals – Elden Street Players
- columbinus – Silver Spring Stage
- The Goat or, Who is Sylvia? – Silver Spring Stage
- Gross Indecency – Little Theatre of Alexandria
- It Runs in the Family – Little Theatre of Alexandria
- Six Degrees of Separation – CCT with 2nd Flight Theatre Company
The awards will be announced and presented at a ceremony on March 14th at The Birchmere. The WATCH awards are the first of the local theatre awards in the DC area, with the Ruby Griffith awards and Helen Hayes awards presented later in the year.