Daily DC item: City Paper Presents Best Of DC
I noticed this week that the Washington City Paper recently came out with their “Best of DC 2009” list. Some of the categories were pretty typical (Best Burger, Best Singles Bar); others appeared invented to allow the paper to give someone an award (Best Book Festival- is there really a lot of competition there?)
Here are a couple of the items featured in this year’s list:
- Best Burger: Five Guys (Readers Choice)/Ray’s Hell Burger (Staff Pick) – I feel a little bit better seeing that Five Guys gets is the people’s choice in DC. While I did enjoy my recent Hell Burger experience I still am on the fence.
- Best Book Festival: National Book Festival – No surprise to me here, and like I just wrote, is there that many book festivals out there? Well the paper did take a minute to recognize GMU’s Fall for the book festival as a close second place finisher.
- Best Adult Novelty Shop: Pleasure Place (Reader’s Choice) – Now here’s something I’ve been wondering for awhile, where’s the best place to get my kinky sex toys. While I’ve actually never heard of Pleasure Place, I’m kinda intrigued that it’s actually a chain with multiple locations. I guess sex does sell.
- Best Congressional Vending Machine: Hot dog vending machine below Cannon HOB – Now this is just a silly category but I did find it funny that our lawmakers are able to get a dog at all hours, you have to keep them fueled during a long legislative session after all.
- Best D.C. Safeway: Chevy Chase – Thank goodness that they recognized that the words best and Safeway aren’t usually in the same sentence. But hey at least it’s not Food Lion.
- Best Caps Player: Alex Ovechkin (Reader’s Choice) – Really? Was there any doubt?
- Best Place To Smoke Weed: Home - I don’t know if I can stop laughing to write anything about this category.
- Best Place To Relieve Yourself: Your own bathroom – Aw man after I looked at the previous category… I do have to say the bathrooms at Mie and Yu are really nice…
- Best Local Twitterer: Ana Marie Cox – The founder of Wonkette is still popular on the interwebs in Twitter form. I would of loved to see best politician Twitterer, because I think Claire McCaskill would win hands down.
- Best Local Blog: Jim Newell, Wonkette – Two very classy outlets and they are very entertaining blogs. There’s no way I would ever tell you we were the best, but I do have fun writing anyways!